Monday, 29 November 2010

Making Hekate a Part of Me

I am currently in the middle of getting a devotional tattoo done of the Goddess Hekate. This is my sixth tattoo, my second devotional and serious piece too. I have the wonderful talents of Donna Finney of Infinite Ink to thank for both my pieces. The first one was for Dionysos; an image taken from the Mythic Oracle deck (pictured left).

The end result of this one was more than I could ever have imagined; nine hours of endurance and skill left me with a breath taking piece of art forever on my body. So pleased was I with the tattoo (the first one from Donna, who I had discovered whilst looking for the right artist for the job) that I immediately wanted Donna to play a role with my Hekate tattoo.

Unlike my Dionysos one, I did not have a single image that I immediately clicked with or liked. Hekate is a Goddess of many faces and forms and I was at a loss as to how to take my idea further. I collected about a dozen of my favourite images of Hekate, detailing her sacred symbols, her most notable forms, and the abstract nature of Her composition in modern artistic representation as well as the powerful simplicity of ancient sculpture. That together with an A4 sheet of basic information (symbols, epithets etc) I left the entire thing in Donna’s capable hands.

A couple of weeks later I popped back in to view the design Donna had drawn up and I was blown away! She had encapsulated the essence of Hekate for me; though I hadn’t had a specific idea of what I wanted, it was now present in her design.

The triplicity, the torches, the sacred animals – it was simple, striking and meaningful and I couldn’t wait to get started!

It is currently 3 hours in and the main figure of Hekate is mostly complete. When it came down to colours, again I could not make up my mind 100% so I went with Donna’s suggestions and I’m really glad I did. I love the striking red robe, blending with the subtle firelight from the torches. I also adored the idea of making Hekate’s face, hair and exposed skin grey, highlighted by the torchlight. It brings realism to the piece, a subtlety.

The remaining imagery of the owl, serpent, dog and (to be added) moon against what I feel is a twilight sky will really bring this piece together and I only have to wait another two weeks to get back under the needle. Seems like an age, but it is well worth it and I hope to have many more wonderful, powerful and meaningful tattoos from Donna in the future!

In the coming days, I am going to start a little blogging project I’m calling “Seven Days of Hekate” – stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment